Sunday, June 3, 2007

Melanie's Soap Sack...Free Pattern

Okay, here's my little lacy soap sack. It's my first attempt to my own lacy design and a pattern with decreases. Feel free to give it a try if you'd like and if you find any problems, let me know. I have only knitted this pattern once and I tried to make sure it was correct but I do have my "DUH" moments. You could actually do the decreases any way you are comfortable with and more gradually if you choose. I just don't like the pointy bottom. I did try to put a soap in and it seems to fit fine.




Melanie’s Soap Sack
©Copyright 2007
Designed by Melanie Thompson

I used Sugar & Cream yarn (100% Cotton) or yarn of your choice
US Size 6 Double Point Needles

Cast on 44 stitches
Place marker and join…work in the round
Knit 4 Rounds
*K2tog, YO, K2* Repeat to the end of the round
Knit 4 Rounds
Begin Pattern

Pattern:
Round 1: *K4, YO, slip 2 (as K2tog), K1, Pass two slipped stitches over the knit1, YO, K4*, Repeat to end
Round 2: Knit
Round 3: *K3, YO, K2tog, K1, SKP, YO, K3*, Repeat to end
Round 4: Knit
Round 5: *K2, YO, K2tog, K3, SKP, YO, K2*, Repeat to end
Round 6: Knit
Round 7: *K1, YO, K2tog, K5, SKP, YO, K1*, Repeat to end
Round 8: Knit
Round 9: *K1, K2tog, K2, YO, K1, YO, K2, SKP, K1*, Repeat to end
Round 10: Knit
Round 11: *K1, K2tog, K2, YO, K1, YO, K2, SKP, K1*, Repeat to end
Round 12: Knit
Round 13: *K1, K2tog, K2, YO, K1, YO, K2, SKP, K1*, Repeat to end
Round 14: Knit
Repeat Rounds 1-14 one more time.
Begin Decrease

Decrease:
*K4, SKP, K2, K2tog*, Repeat to last 4 stitches, K2, K2tog (35 stitches)
Knit
*K4, SKP, K2, K2tog*, Repeat to last 5 stitches, K3, K2tog (28 stitches)
Knit
*K4, SKP, K2, K2tog*, Repeat to last 8 stitches, K4, SKP, K2 (23 stitches)
Knit
*K2, K2tog*, Repeat to end (17 stitches)

Cut yarn leaving 4” tail and run through remaining 17 stitches.
Pull tight and weave in the ends.
Make an I-cord or braid yarn to run through eyelets…insert soap and tie bag.


4 comments:

SoonerGal said...

That is so cute! I think it looks great & the pattern is very easy to follow. Thanks for sharing it!

Lil Knitter said...

Thanks for comment. I'm glad you like it. I haven't been knitting lace for very long so it's a pretty simple design. Happy to share it with you.

Anonymous said...

That is really a nice soap sack. I love the pattern.

Lil Knitter said...

Thanks Cat!